13 July 2006

I want to grab you and give a strong shake. Please. Sometimes you just need to take the advice of others. So trust me when I say that you cannot stop writing.

Let me tell you a story. It begins in the office of a familiar professor on a depressed, October afternoon. I came seeking his remedy for my ambivalence -- his weight to tip my monumentous scale.

He told me that he could not tell me a thing. He said it was not his role to help make a choice of this magnitude. And I believed him. But only up until the point at which he could not hold back any longer.

It was then that I realised that I do not make choices in isolation. I am part of a network of people, and I extend thus. If you, a node in that network, think you know what is best for me, then tell me the course of action I should take. Sometimes you will be wrong. But, more times than not, you will tell me not only what you think is best, but also what is so.