13 August 2006

One surprising thing I learned from my philosophical indoctrination at Rutgers is that there are no borderline cases in assessing undergraduate writing samples. Either a writing sample is excellent, or it is not; there is no vagueness in the classification process.

A good work of philosophy grabs you by the seam of your shirt, demanding that you pay attention. It gets you interested, not only in the topic, but in the total philosophical enterprise. Both during and after reading it, you think congenial thoughts to yourself.

Nice to finally meet you. I have been searching for something like you for a very long time. You have brightened one aspect of my mental life, and I shall not forget you. At least, not yet. Not until I encounter the next piece by your author.

(I aim to make my works bring out this soliloquy in you.)