16 January 2007

One of my favourite musicians has made a noteworthy move. He is offering bootlegs of his concerts for a very reasonable price. You can get two sets of music for $6, and the recording quality is very reasonable.

What I like about this idea is that it brings something exciting to the world bank of ideas. Instead of using electronic commerce to boost sales of products designed for the audience at large, David Binney is providing a product which would seem not to have an audience anywhere else but online.

I spoke a while ago about my thought that we should endorse what we produce, and defend the fruits of our intellectual labour. If the efficacy of the discussed move is as powerful as I think it is, then it illustrates that endorsement is not a binary relation between a person and their project. We can endorse some things more than others.

Consider Mach bands.